CMI Level 2 in Team Leading (RQF)
This is a very practical and hands-on course for Team Leaders and Supervisors who have to organise and manage people in a team at work. You may already be in a Team Leader or Supervisor role or may have the opportunity to be given that role at some time in the future.
Working with a group of similar people, you will take part in a number of practical exercises and discussions during the three days of the programme and will look at some of the key areas in which you can influence the performance of your team. The course includes an introduction to the basic principles of leadership, how teams form together and develop, and how to communicate to and motivate the individual members of your team.
Much of the learning on the course comes from sharing experiences with the other people on the programme and taking part in the activities. Whilst there is a straight-forward Level 3 qualification that can be taken if desired, this is optional. People who do wish to do the qualification will find that CMBD gives unrivalled levels of help and support, including access to a personal tutor until you have finished your course. What you need to be able to do this qualification is clearly explained on the first day and you will have the opportunity to chat with your manager before you have to decide if this is for you or not.
What You Will Learn
This programme is delivered over 3 days (usually one or two weeks apart) and covers the six key areas that are most relevant to Team Leaders and Supervisors:
- Your role as a Team Leader or Supervisor, understanding your responsibilities and level of authority
- How to spot and address performance issues in your team
- How to get the best performance out of individuals and teams
- How to develop your communication skills
- How to manage your resources effectively
- Understanding the basic legal aspects of supervising and managing people
In summary, this is an enjoyable and practical course that will give you a number of useful tools and techniques which will help you to make a real and immediate difference in the workplace.
- The basic principles of leadership and understanding the impact that you can have on the team
- The different leadership styles and how and when it is useful to use them
- How people learn and the concept of people having different learning styles (do you read the instructions first or get your new toy out of the box and try to make it work straight away!)
- Motivating people by understanding the differences between each individual
- How to spot and fix performance issues
- Team working and team dynamics and how to get your team working well
- Motivating people by playing to their strengths and managing their weaknesses
- The importance of clear communication and the barriers that can get in the way
- How to communicate clearly and how to check for common understanding
- Why it is important for your team members to be able to make sense of the job and how it relates to the bigger picture
- The importance of planning and how to improve how you do it
- How to problem solve and make decisions
- Basic employment law, discipline and grievance procedures (why we don’t want to go there!)
- The role of the supervisor in counselling and mentoring and getting the best out of your team members
Who Should Attend
The CMBD Team Leader programme is specifically designed for people who are already in a Team Leader or Supervisor role in their organisation or who may have the opportunity to be given that role at some time in the future. You may not have had any previous training in this area (or it may be some time since you were on a course) but this is not a problem.
The course is fun, hands-on and practical. We will look at some very basic theories from time to time, but it is more about things that you can do back in the work-place that will make a difference. Most people also discover (if they did not already know it) that supervising and managing people is often about straight-forward common sense and you will often be able to help others on the course from your own experiences.
The Team Leader programme is very flexible and can be delivered in-house or at one of our training venues if required. The programme is designed for six to twelve delegates and can include some bespoke content to suit your organisation if required.
We recommend that the course be run one day a week for three consecutive weeks if possible. This allows time back in the work-place for people to try out ideas and then to be able to discuss them with their fellow course members when they next meet. However, there are also the options of as short a time-scale as three consecutive days or up two weeks between sessions. Please feel free to discuss the most suitable timings for your organisation.
Should delegates require registration with the awarding body to complete any of the optional Level 3 qualifications that are available with this programme, then a further fee (to cover CMI registration, tutorial support and assignment marking) will be payable. The fee depends on which level qualification is taken.
The qualification options are shown below but we suggest that you discuss with us which level may be most appropriate for your delegates.
- Award (5 credit points & one assignment)
- Certificate (15 credit points & 2/3 assignments)
The qualification aspect can cause apprehension for some delegates on the course. CMBD are well aware of this and are very skilled in supporting and reassuring anyone who might be in this position. We are recognised by the CMI as being exceptional in supporting learners and an example of best practice in this area.
Brent is the Director of Training at The Centre for Management & Business Development Ltd (CMBD). He is the lead tutor on the Level 7 and Level 5 management development programmes and his responsibilities include the development of the tutors and trainers as well as overseeing course content and quality. However, he loves the training room and enjoys delivering the Team Leader course the most!