Finance for Non-financial Managers 1 Day Introduction
The one day finance for non-financial managers is not intended to turn you into an accountant! It is however designed to remove a lot of uncertainty, confusing jargon and to provide delegates with a basic, but robust understanding of the main financial reports and information that is produced by every organisation or business.
These include the balance sheet, the profit and loss (or income and expenditure) statements and various other management reports. Practical advice and guidance is given on using tools such as financial ratios and the importance of monitoring cash-flow and the value and different methods of budgeting.
Your tutor will use a number of simple but straight-forward exercises and examples during the course of the workshop and you will have ample opportunity to ask questions whilst you learn about the basic accounting conventions that enable you to make timely and accurate business decisions.
What You Will Learn
- The fundamental principles and conventions that apply to accounting
- How to construct and interpret the main financial reports, the balance sheet and the profit and loss statement.
- How to use financial ratios to benchmark performance and monitor key areas of the business
- The importance of cash-flow and the need to forecast and budget in an appropriate manner. Accounts are history and should confirm what you already know. Forecasts give you the opportunity to look ahead and make changes if required.
- How to make business decisions based on timely and accurate information.
- How your decisions impact on the financial performance of a business or organisation.
Who Should Attend
The workshop is specifically designed for 1st Line and Middle Managers who have no formal financial training or background. The course is particularly suitable for people who aspire to senior management positions and who need to understand profit and loss, balance sheets, management accounts and cash-flow concepts.
Serena runs the CMI level 7 finance course, and works with CMBD clients to help them improve their financial control, management and performance. She is a vastly experienced Chartered Management Accountant, (commercial exciting stuff, not the traditional tax and year-end work) specialising in the financial management of SMEs where finance is often the weakest link.
Serena helps business owners make big shifts in their lives, making sure their business works for them by creating an exciting strategy for what they really want. This helps them take control of their finances, taking much of the stress, uncertainty and pressure out of their businesses – freeing them up to get back to what they love and building their future.
Upcoming Locations & Dates
This course is usually provided on an in-house basis to suit clients but is occasionally run as an open course when sufficient delegates are available. Please contact us for the current situation.